Cannabis consumption is not limited to smoking or vaping flowers and buds to feel their varied effect. Though it is still very popular to roll a cigarette with your homies, there is a new way of consumption that is growing popular with interesting and delicious recipes. We are talking about oral consumption in the form of food, tinctures, oils, etc and the Edibles Dosage mg Chart that is very important to follow.
Cannabis edible market has expanded in the past few years with innovative products, healthier options, and their long list of medicinal benefits without the smoke. Recreational or not, the edibles are catching up with the canna-sseur, and it is important to know how to consume them responsibly. Overdosing can lead to very unpleasant and unwanted effects, and come on, none of us like that!
So before you're all confused about the edibles dosage mg chart and the long list of tips, let's first start with the basics.
What is the dose?
When you're smoking cannabis herbs and flowers, you usually look at the THC level, and whether the strain is Indica or Sativa. But, when it comes to cannabis edibles, the potency is measured differently. You might have noticed that we talk about the dosage in mg. This is because the potency of the edibles is indicated by the milligrams of cannabinoids present in the product.
If you're buying some gummies or canna-butter, the package will state the milligrams of THC and/or CBD per servings, and the total milligrams in the entire product. If your dosage is 5mg for a 50mg packet, then divide it equally into 10 pieces, and devour it!
Now that you know what is referred to as the dose, it will make it easier for you to understand edibles dosage mg chart and the variations in the edibles.
Dosage variation among individuals
The thing about cannabis consumption is that it differs from person to person. Everybody has a different physiological reaction to the green herbs and it is only fair we address this article.
A large part of the reaction depends on the function and sensitivity of the endocannabinoid system as that is where the THC works. Other factors may include a previous history of cannabis use, gastrointestinal factors, and general sensitivity, etc.
However, it is interesting to note that when you consume extremely high dosage like 150mg or 200 mg, the overconsumption symptoms, unwanted effects, and other negative effects will still show themselves, even if you're a consumer with high tolerance.
Edibles Dosage mg Chart
How many mg should you consume?
Though we explain this in the edibles dosage mg chart, let's have a run through again! Just remember that these are the basic guidelines that have been decided after a lot of observation, but are subjected to deferring from the stated reactions.
1-2.5 mg dosage
- Effects expected: Very mild relief from the pain, stress, & anxiety, You might also experience an increase in your attention span and creative buzz.
- Recommended for: Beginners, people wanting to microdose.
2.5 – 15 mg dosage
- Effects expected: Taking this quite ahead of the first dosage, this one gives you a strong relief from the pain, stress, and other symptoms. You might also experience a state of euphoria with impaired coordination & perception.
- Recommended for: Used by people who want to get high, for getting rid of symptoms not addressed by a smaller dose, and to fight sleep disorders.
30 – 50 mg dosage
- Effects expected: Makes you feel very euphoric and elated with significant impaired coordination & perception.
- Recommended for: Since the dosage is quite high, it is perfect for high-tolerant THC consumers. It might also be used by those whose gastrointestinal system is unable to absorb cannabinoids.
50 – 100 mg dosage
- Effects expected: Unpleasant overconsumption symptoms like nausea, paranoia, increased heart-rate, seriously impaired coordination & perception.
- Recommended for: Very high tolerant THC consumers, patients with serious disease/conditions.
This brings us to the end of edibles dosage mg chart. Now let's look at how these tasty things work in our body.
How do edibles work?
Edibles are consumed through the mouth and then travel through the gut. Once the compounds are absorbed, they are metabolized in the liver. After this, the remaining THC and metabolites travel to the heart and reach the brain.
When you smoke cannabis, it has an instant effect since it doesn't have to go through the digestive system. But when it comes to edibles, it takes its own sweet time to show the effect. But you also get a more potent and long-lasting high. Why is that so?
When THC is metabolized in the liver, it turns into a compound called 11-hydroxy-THC. This compound is more potent than THC and has a longer life along with strong sedating properties. This process can take around 45 minutes to 3 hours, which is why you experience a delay in the effects when it comes to cannabis edibles.
One of the most common mistakes that people make when consuming edibles is when they don't feel any effect after an hour, they consume another dose. When both the doses start showing their effect, it creates the unwanted and negative effects of overdosing.
CBD and THC - the Edible Relationship
We talk about THC consumption in our edibles dosage mg chart, but there is another compound very crucial to the cannabis plant; CBD. Let's have a look at their relationship.
Though they both are present in most of the cannabis plant, it is widely known and proven that adding CBD to THC will help to amplify the medicinal properties of cannabis and lower the adverse intoxicating effects. CBD works to block the powerful effect of THC, making it very desirable for people who want to tap on the medical benefits without the high.
Look out for the CBD: THC ratio when you're purchasing a cannabis edible. As the CBD: THC ratio increases, it leads to a direct decrease in the intoxicating effects, whereas there will also be a change in the medical effects.
For example, a person who feels impaired after taking 5 mg of THC will likely feel less or no impairment when taking 20 mg of CBD + 5 mg of THC.
Tips for Consuming Cannabis Edibles
You have your edibles dosage mg chart ready but there are still some tips you would need.
The motto of edible consumption is "start low, go slow" and this is what you should follow. But since cannabis is such a wide area, let's have a look at some tips to make this ride a smooth one.
- THC is known to have bi-phasic properties meaning one dose can be perfect to relieve the stress but one larger than that can cause the opposite effects.
- Though it is not recommended, taking edibles on an empty stomach allows it to be absorbed faster and show more potency. On a similar note, a fatty meal before the consumption will allow it to absorb more THC than usual.
- If you're a regular doser, it is important to note that a regular dose outside of your normal routine will have a different experience.
- If you don't feel any effect from the edible after an hour, try eating a snack to enable digestion and absorption in the gut.
- New consumers might require 2-3 doses before they feel anything at all, so it’s often best to try the same low dose three times with 8 to 24 hours between trials before increasing the dose.
- If you don't feel anything and are unable to absorb the THC, try tinctures or smoking the plant.
Tips for relieving the overdose symptom:
- When it comes to over-consumption, make sure you're in a comfortable environment. Lay down with your eyes closed and take slow breaths. You may indulge in some entertaining movies, shows, etc.
- If you feel like you are experiencing trouble breathing or heart-related problems, you should seek medical attention.
- Staying hydrated is the number one key when it comes to consuming cannabis. Make sure you have a bottle of water around you. In case you experience vomiting and diarrhoea, you will really need that water.
- Some people use large doses of CBD (50-200 mg) to counter the effects of THC overdosing. You may alternatively also chew a tablespoon of lemon zest and swallow it.
This brings us to the end of our cannabis dosing article. Keep the edibles dosage mg chart handy, you might need it sometime.
If you have any questions, feel free to drop it in the comments below.
Till then, keep toking with Olivastu!